Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Willing Suspension of Disbelief

I have figured out why I am always the last one to disparage a movie, and why it actually means something (to me, anyway) when I walk out of a movie with a negative review. I want to be immersed into the world of the movie. I will accept ridiculous plot twists or character actions as part of the universe of the movie - or tv show - as long as they mesh with the established rules. It's only after someone mentions something out of context that I realize something was a little off or silly.
For example, take Firefly; it was difficult for many people to understand the dichotomy of the show. A dear friend of mine once asked me, "How can they have spaceships AND horse-and-carriages? If they can afford spaceships, how are they so poor that they live like settlers?" Until he had brought up that point, the conflict had never occurred to me, because those were just the rules Joss Whedon had established. Some of the planets are rich and as futuristic as you would expect of a space-travelling society, but then there are the poorer outer planets which are actually a few steps back from our society, save for a few tidbits stolen from the central planets. To understand the 'verse in this show, you have to think of it like steampunk, i.e. the balance of technology (albeit steam powered) with Victorian England. State-of-the-art technology had become commonplace in their society before the war between the Alliance and the Browncoats. After the war, although the Alliance began controlling as much as they could, they did not care enough to stretch their resources all the way out to the outer planets and the technology for those people began to decline. It is the same as current technology - top-of-the-line smartphones are available for  use; however, even though they exist, some people can still only afford just the most basic "brick" phone.
But, back to my main point, I had to think about that justification, and recall exposition provided throughout every episode of the series. While I was watching it, I simply accepted the rules of the 'verse and was thus able to enjoy it from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment