Sunday, July 22, 2012

Did he seriously just do that??

I went to the local discount theater last night to see Rock of Ages again. I love that movie - it has proven to me that I was born 30 years too late and I should have been this age in the 80s. There was some scheduling difficulty with the friend I was going with, so I ended up getting there mere minutes before the movie started. When I walked in the auditorium, it was PACKED (I had forgotten it was a Saturday night) so the only convenient, unobtrusive seats I could find were in the second row, and there was no one in front of me for a few seats.

After the incident in Aurora, my mind went immediately to the "S--t, if anything happens, I will be one of the first hit." but then I got pissed. Movie theaters have always been one of my favorite places. Sure, the food is overpriced, the floors can be sticky and most of the chairs are not overly comfortable, but once the lights go down and the movie starts, I tend to forget about all of that. At that point, the movie envelops me with the surround sound and the large screen which takes up most of my vision, and I am transported. So when I realized I was scared, I got really pissed at James Holmes for taking the movie theater from me, however briefly. I tried to calm my heartbeat and convince myself that no one would bother with a crappy discount theatre at 7:10....and then some idiot walked down the aisle and out of the emergency exit door.

The movie started soon after, so I tried not to think about him again. Until he WALKED BACK IN THROUGH THE EMERGENCY EXIT. And to top it off, he had stuff in his hands!! Since the sun hadn't set yet, he flooded the front of the auditorium with light, and I'm sure everyone noticed him. Especially as he WALKED. ACROSS. THE FRONT. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and I wasn't the only one who had the same thought - a "Seriously??" came from behind me.

Nothing happened, he just walked up the aisle and (I assume) to his seat, but I couldn't believe that anyone would be so stupid. There's no way he didn't hear about what happened in Colorado, so he just wasn't thinking about what he was doing. I really hope his parents or friends or whoever he was with told him what exactly he had done. So, next time you go to the theater, please don't be a dumbass, and think about how skittish people are right now. And then enjoy your movie experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment