Monday, July 23, 2012

Men in Black 3 Review - yes, it's finally here!!

I was recently reminded that I have yet to review Men in Black III (shout out to awesome follower NietzscheIsDead!), which I saw a couple months ago and then promised to talk about it. I then promptly forgot to ever write about it again. So let's see what I can remember...

I actually really liked Men in Black III. I went in with some apprehension, since Men in Black 2 was just awful. In the second movie, they tried too hard to be funny, with the result being a campy movie that just could not hold up to the original. However, I had heard that with the third movie, they were trying to get back to the magic of the first, plus Josh Brolin was playing a young Agent K. How can you miss that?

The basic plot is that Agent K gets shot by an old nemesis, so J must go back in time to prevent his partner from being murdered. Overall, the movie did not disappoint - it was MILES ahead of the second movie, and, honestly, neck-and-neck with the first movie. I laughed, I cried, I actually thought Josh Brolin was a young Tommy Lee Jones. The man was incredible - he had the speech pattern, the voice, the movements, every little detail that Tommy Lee Jones has used to create K, Josh Brolin picked up and copied perfectly. There was one storyline/plot twist that was kind of hinted at throughout the movie and then resolved in the end (as all good storylines/plot twists do - and no, I won't spoil it) that caused me to get misty-eyed. I didn't outright cry, but I only sort of saw it coming and when it was confirmed, I definitely got a little choked up because it was so sweet.

I'm sorry for not remembering more details, but I do remember that it was worth the price of the ticket and more, and I was very happy for how they handled this latest installment of a franchise which I felt they had disrespected and even ruined with the previous movie. My advice? Go see it and judge for yourself, and then let me know when you agree with me. It's not a question of "If".

No comments:

Post a Comment