Saturday, July 21, 2012

There's Always An Excuse

"There is always an excuse not to do something."
I have heard that way too often from parents and grandparents, because I have the unfortunate skill of finding every one of those excuses. "I'm not going to work out, because it's so hot outside that I will overheat." "I'm barely sunburned, so I'm not going to go do laps in the neighborhood pool - I don't want to make it worse." These are sentences that I have actually said, or thought. I'm a really bad procrastinator, and it's affecting my writing and Nerdy FanGirl projects.With Nerdy FanGirl, the excuses sound something like "Jenna and I are an hour and a half away from each other, we can't get together regularly" "I have a cheap computer, I don't have high quality film editing software".
But I have to hold on to what I realized in Little Rock - I want to be a writer. I still kind of have to figure out what kind of writer, novel, TV or film, but right now, I'm just going to work on the novel concept I've had for six years, brainstorm TV pilot ideas, and do whatever I can for Nerdy FanGirl. I'm not going to get paid for any of this yet, but honestly, as long as I'm working on it, I'm going to be happy. I don't care if I have to work at McDonald's to pay the bills (application is still pending, but they haven't turned me down yet!!) and work on Nerdy FanGirl and my novel(s) in my off hours. In that reality, I may not have a career I'm paid for, but I will be feeding my passion. I've never been very good and finding and following my passion, and I can't tell you why. I was homeschooled until high school, and then completely unmotivated throughout those four years, but those aren't reasons. Those are the pesky excuses popping up again.
What I really need to do is get off my lazy ass, stop procrastinating, and start writing. With that said, I'll talk to you later!

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth. I've waited patiently for three months while you've tried very hard just to keep putting something up on this sight, even if you didn't have much to say. And in that time... the overall quality may have dipped a bit. There was the stellar post about the Council in the Buffyverse that hasn't quite been matched yet.

    But honestly, the quality hasn't gone down all that much, and you seem to be enjoying yourself a whole lot more. So, keep going with this. I like it better when you're in a flow and just putting out whatever's on your mind on here.

    ReplyDelete