Thursday, July 26, 2012

The British America

I love watching BBC America. Doctor Who (of course), The Graham Norton Show, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, the new series coming up, Copper, looks really good....it's just a fun channel. And back in December, it started getting even better - there was a Nerdist special after the Doctor Who Christmas Special, and another one in January. And guess what? IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN, ONLY DOUBLED.
BBC America has dubbed this Saturday (the 28th) as Sat-nerd-day. Starting at 6am EST, they will be showing a twelve-hour Doctor Who marathon, followed by the two previously aired Nerdist specials (I'm excited about this, because I missed the Christmas one) and then at 9pm EST is the Nerdist Tribute to Comic-Con followed by Nerdist Tribute to Toys & Games at 10. I am a major follower of the Nerdist Podcast, and I love everything Chris Hardwick has managed to accomplish. (Check out the Nerdist YouTube Channel if you haven't already)

I am mildly obsessed with the British Isles. Jenna and I had started discussing a move to England three or four months after meeting each other (whether that says more about our obsession with the country or our friendship, I'm not sure....but she's still my best friend and we still plan on getting over there somehow). Number one on my bucket list is to spend significant time in Ireland. I'm far more proud than I maybe should be of my Celtic heritage. And if I wouldn't get weird looks (and honestly, judge myself just a lot bit) I would totally walk around with an English accent. However, that doesn't stop me from cursing in British - "bloody hell" is one of my favorite phrases ever.
And all that probably has something to do with my adoration of BBC America, as well as Nerimon/Alex Day and Charlie McDonnell (two English YouTubers) - they give me a glimpse into the culture I wish was mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment