Monday, May 14, 2012

Nerdist at Heart

Chris Hardwick has built an empire for himself under Nerdist Industries, but "nerdist" is more than a brand name - it's an actual noun he created. According to his book The Nerdist Way, a nerdist is "an artful Nerd. He or she doesn't just consume, he or she creates and innovates" (p.x) {Yeahhh, check out that parenthetical documentation!!} As anyone who has spent at least 30 minutes with me can tell you, I'm really Nerdy. I kind of embraced it in high school, and even more so in college, but have really let my Nerd Flag fly in the past year. I haven't really analyzed the reason too much, but if I had to guess it would be because I am out of school, in the "real world", and have been away from anyone who had a preexisting idea of who I am (family, HS friends, etc), and so have been able to be whoever I want to be. Apparently that's a massive Nerd. But I really want to be more than that; I want to be a nerdist. Trouble is, I have a very limited creative bone and have had trouble figuring out what I can create that would be quality and worth the effort of creation.

I'm sort of discovering this as I type, but I think the answer has been staring me in the face since high school. I need to write. I need to get off my lazy ass, accept it, and become a writer. Granted, it may become a side pursuit while I journey to become a creator of film and tv, but those two dreams aren't really mutually exclusive. A good writer is often also a producer on shows, and writing could be a good way to get into the business. Plus, how cool would it be to publish a novel and then write the screenplay for it?? Watch out, Suzanne Collins, here I come!!
(Not really.....>_>)

No comments:

Post a Comment