Monday, May 7, 2012

Let's Assemble Again!!

Avengers had the biggest opening weekend of movie history, with $200.3 million in box office sales (I have a feeling Dark Knight Rises is going to meet/exceed it, but we'll talk about that in about two months). It has been speculated that this is thanks to many fans going to the movie multiple times over the weekend, though this doesn't include me...yet. I just happen to be going back today at 2.

So, why are so many people willing to spend at least $19 (avg. ticket price (9.50) x 2 viewings = $19) for a "comic book movie"? Well, it could be the Whedonites. I'm probably preaching to the choir on this subject, but Joss Whedon is kind of a Geek God and has amassed an enormous fan base who are willing to support anything he does. So, the fact that Joss directed and co-wrote the movie got people into the seats and then he did not disappoint. But even if you are not a fan of Joss's work, you can enjoy this movie (and heck, maybe it'll even make you interested in seeking out his tv shows!) While Whedonites can definitely feel Joss's hand in the movie, it is also a Marvel Studios production, and blends seamlessly with all of the movies leading up to it (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America). Since Joss Whedon is a Marvel fanboy himself, he was faithful to the franchise and to the characters themselves - therefore, fans of the Avengers ((both the movies and the comics) are drawn to the movie as well. And once all the fans who went to the midnight premiere saw how impressive and wonderful the movie is, I would not be surprised if they went back Friday morning to buy more tickets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm writing after seeing it for my second time, and I think it actually got better. Although the highly responsive crowd was perfect for a midnight premiere, I did appreciate being able to watch it with a slightly quieter crowd (I do mean slightly, because there were definitely audible responses). I was able to catch at least one line I had missed before, and - the second time around - I knew what was coming and so was able to better appreciate it, because instead of dealing with shock over what had happened, I could react to the actual event itself.

As comes with every multiple viewing (or reading, honestly) I was also able to pick up on nuances I had previously missed, and reenjoy certain moments. Again, I don't want to spoil anything yet, but good LORD do I have a crush on Hawkeye!! There was one shot he took, during the battle in New York... *swoon*
I actually kind of flipped my shit this time around...I apologize for that, Kris!

I would love to hear your reactions to the movie! Comment or send me a tweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment