Sunday, May 13, 2012

I'm gonna watch it again and again...and again...and again

My background is in theatre. I was in the church drama group through middle and high schools, I majored in theatre in college, and currently hold a position in the top regional theatre in Arkansas. I am used to doing the same show every night, eight shows a week, for multiple weeks. Most of the time, I am working in front of the stage, where I can actually watch the show (or have to watch it, depending on how you look at it).

I never made the connection until today, but knowing all this about the last 11 years of my life, it doesn't surprise me that I need to read a book or watch a movie or television show multiple times to truly understand it. In high school, I had 9th and 11th grade English with Mrs. Little, my favorite teacher. She taught me that in order to properly analyze a piece of literature, I need to read it three times. Once to get a general feel of the story, a second time to notice symbolism and subtext, and a final time to pick up on the nuances and finer points of the story. In the past five years, this has stayed with me and I have used it with movies and shows as well as books.

Some people don't understand how I can watch movies multiple times; for them, once is enough and they are on to the next thing. And for me, that's true for some movies I watch. I see it once so that I can say that I've seen it, but if I have no interest in it, I don't pursue it further. But with my memory and what Mrs. Little taught me, I'm not able to properly analyze and enjoy something without experiencing it at least three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment