Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bettering Myself as a Nerd

I am so excited, I have to tell you guys what I just bought at Barnes & Noble! First, though, I have to confess something. As devoted as I am to the Marvel movies (May 4th, baby!! So stoked!) I have not read very many of the comic books, and none of the originals. I get all of my comic knowledge from my cousin and brother, both of whom have PLENTY to spare. I have always thought of this as something that needed to be fixed,  but never had a very good opportunity to do so. (Side Note: if anyone finds/has the Marvel Civil War comics, I would love you forever if you somehow got them to me!)
So, with this in mind, I am very excited to announce that I have discovered the Marvel Masterworks collections, and I happened to wander upon them at a time when I had excess Christmas money! Though they are not original printings, I now own the first ten issues of X-Men!!! I am so excited to start reading these, I don't think you can even understand.

Now for my second very exciting purchase of the evening, which also has a story behind it. Leading up to Christmas, a group of people at work participated in Secret Santa. Pedro was part of this, and one day his Secret Santa gave him a Thor bobble-head. It. was. awesome. He has since collected The Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man to complete his Avengers set (honestly, I'm fairly jealous. I want these so bad!)
Meanwhile, in my apartment, we have a small shelf above the kitchen sink, built with the intention of holding paper towels. However, one of my roommates (let's call her Kris) is too short to reach this shelf, so it mostly just sits empty. Sometime last week, Kris and I decided that we needed a knickknack to put on that shelf so that we had some decoration, and it was no longer empty. We decided we wanted a bobble-head, but didn't know which franchise we wanted, or which character we wanted.
And now I come to my story. (Have you picked up on where I'm going with this yet?) While at B&N, I found STAR WARS BOBBLE-HEADS!! They had Yoda, Chewbacca, and Leia (Darth Vader, Luke, Obi-Wan, C-3PO, Greedo, Bobba Fett, Darth Maul, Storm Trooper and Gamorrean Guard are also available). And though Yoda was very adorable (he will be my second addition to this collection) and Chewie will be the third purchase, for the first one I had to buy Leia! She is now on display in our kitchen, above the sink. It makes me very very happy.

3 comments:

  1. Remind me to let you borrow my hard drive sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also caught this on facebook, FanGirl. Well done, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...what's on your hard drive? do I even want to know?

    ReplyDelete