Sunday, February 5, 2012

Who the f*** am I??

I am under no delusion that this will be the last time I write a post like this; I am constantly trying to figure out who I am, and who I want to be. It seems like every time I think I have it figured out it is incomplete, or even (at times) flat out wrong. Here's what I know right now:

~*~*~*~
1) I am incredibly nerdy; I love sci fi, and especially fantasy. I enjoy comic books, though my knowledge in this area is sadly lacking (though I am attempting to improve, even though I have approximately 14 years to catch up on).
B) I love the concepts of YouTube channels and podcasts, and want to figure out what talents/knowledge I have of value that I could share in one of these mediums. I've already experimented in YouTubing (you can find my channel at youtube.com/FanGirlNerd, but I haven't updated in a couple months, so it's not very interesting right now) and I want to figure out how to podcast with the limited equipment and budget I have at my disposal.
iii) I am interested in the film/tv industry, but don't want to deal with the studio politics, so am planning on doing it as a hobby/creating my own production company with my best friend. We currently have a webseries in the planning stage (you will definitely be hearing more on that starting this summer/fall, once I get back to Georgia) and I have ideas for more.
d) I am proud of my Southern United States upbringing (I'm a Georgia Peach and a proud G.R.I.T.S., y'all!) but will be going to the British Isles as soon as I can, and wish it was easier for an American to move over there. Since that is so difficult, I really am contemplating moving to Canada. I know, I know, that's just something Americans say when we're unhappy with how this country is going, but I really am getting so discouraged by our government and society (though, society does seem to be moving slowly up and getting mildly smarter) that I almost can't stand associating myself with them anymore.
V) Since high school, when I questioned my Christianity and eventually left the faith, I have not considered myself a religious person; I preferred to think of myself as spiritual. But I recently (as in, within the past week) realized that I'm not so much against religion as I am dogmatic religion. What I mean by that is, I strongly believe in a person's right to make his or her own choices in all aspects of his or her life (as long as s/he doesn't hurt anybody else), so I can't support a religion that has very specific and detailed instructions on how and when to worship the chosen deity. To me, worship is incredibly personal and private, and I can't believe that the higher power cares whether or not I'm with other worshipers (I won't go into the other issues I have with Christianity, since that's not what this post is about, and I don't want to upset or offend anybody - like I said, I'm all for you choosing to be Christian for yourself, just don't force me to be one). So, I am currently on a personal journey to find what makes me spiritually whole and complete.
~*~*~*~

I'm sure there is more, but I don't feel like coming up with anymore, and you guys probably don't want to deal with a much longer list than that. What I'm getting at, though, is all five of those are pretty generic, vague aspects of my personality. They don't tell me what I want to do for a living, they don't give me a roadmap to the next twenty years, and they only partially tell me who I am. It doesn't help that I feel like my life is on pause while I'm in Arkansas; this job doesn't feel like a first step, but rather a detour. I am trying to enjoy it while I'm here, because I am incredibly fortunate and I have some great people in my life right now, but part of me is glad that I only have approximately five months until I am back in Georgia and moving my life forward (though, forward to where I don't know).
I do have plans for at least the next year, which will hopefully flourish into the next few years, and am excited to start the projects that I am planning right now. And don't worry; I will most likely bring you guys along with me as I grow and explore who I want to be when I grow up, since I want to use this blog as a way to document my process of becoming whoever the hell I'm going to become - hence the name, Trials of a Fan Girl. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment